Back for another edition of the Sports Media Weekly podcast. It’s definitely a newsworthy edition. Keith Thibault of Sports Media Journal and I are back to talk about the current events in sports media and a guest in the world of TV and radio.
As usual, we have a “Third Man In” and this week, it’s Pete Dougherty, sports media, golf and bowling writer for the Albany Times Union. For this particular News segment, Keith, Pete and I discuss the following topics:
- CBS switching the roles of NCAA Basketball studio analyst Greg Anthony and game analyst Clark Kellogg.
- ESPN tweaking Fox Sports 1 with a press release about its ratings since August 17 which was the launch date of FS1.
- Fox Sports 1 tweaking its afternoon talk lineup and its late night lineup.
- The Bleacher Report poaching newspapers for four experienced NBA beat writers.
- And the Orlando CBS affiliate “apologizing” for carrying the Jacksonville Jaguars last Sunday.
In our guest segment, Michelle Beadle of NBCSN’s The Crossover with Michelle Beadle and Access Hollywood talks candidly about her role for NBC Sports. Among the issues discussed:
- How Crossover has evolved since premiering in January and how Michelle is battling the lack of promotion and the pre-emptions for the show.
- The experience of hosting the NFL Season Opening concert from Baltimore.
- Her hopes of expanding her role at the Sochi Olympics next year.
- How much she enjoys working at Access Hollywood.
- Describing Access Hollywood co-anchor Billy Bush.
- Comparing Billy Bush to her former SportsNation co-host Colin Cowherd.
- If she’s persona non grata at ESPN.
- Dealing with Twitter trolls and how she handled a Philadelphia sports radio host’s comments about her weight.
- Her ideas for promoting the NHL on NBC.
A pretty action-packed podcast if you ask me. Very good stuff from both of our guests.
Listen to the podcast at iTunes by doing a search for “Sports Media Journal” at iTunes or you can listen right away by clicking on the player below.