Back with another edition of the Sports Media Weekly Podcast and it’s quite an entertaining one. It’s almost an hour, but stay with it. It’s one of the funniest editions we’ve had.
Keith Thibault of Sports Media Journal and I have our usual two segments.
Our “Third Man In” was Chad Finn, media writer and sometimes Red Sox reporter for the Boston Globe. Among the topics we discussed in our news of the week:
- The coverage of the Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin story.
- How the Boston Globe reacted in covering the 2013 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox.
- The ESPN College Hoops Marathon
Ian Eagle of CBS Sports, YES and various other networks joins us for our guest segment and here are some of the issues we broached:
- Bert Convy’s cameos in Fantasy Island and his hosting of the old game show, Tattle Tales
- His experience in calling the San Diego-Oakland NFL game which had been pushed back to an 11:35 p.m. ET start time due to the MLB Postseason.
- The first game of the 2013-14 Brooklyn Nets preseason in which Ian cut off partner Mike Fratello.
- In what order Ian ranks the 1980′s sitcoms, Cheers, Night Court and Charles in Charge.
- How many analysts Ian has worked with over his 20 year play-by-play career.
- The play-by-play announcers who have influenced him.
- Ian’s progress in developing a secret handshake for Syracuse alumni.
- What’s new with the Sports Broadcasting Camp that he runs with WNBC-TV sports anchor Bruce Beck.
- And how the sitcom Angie and the late Debralee Scott could come into play in the curriculum of the camp.
You could see the cornucopia of topics that were broached between Ian and I. An action-packed podcast. You can find it on iTunes by doing a search for “Sports Media Journal” or if you can’t wait and want to listen right away,