And let’s bring you ESPN’s features on Sunday NFL Countdown and on NFL Matchup. It’s all good stuff.
First, Sunday NFL Countdown.
Sunday NFL Countdown: RG3 – The Leader Within; Jaworski on Flacco and Vick; Giants Finish Line; and More
On Sunday, Sept. 16, beginning at 10 a.m., Chris Berman and analysts Cris Carter, Mike Ditka, Tom Jackson and Keyshawn Johnson (on main set), as well as Suzy Kolber, Merril Hoge and Ron Jaworski (on an adjoining set) will preview NFL week two games on Sunday NFL Countdown. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and senior analyst Chris Mortensen will provide the day’s headlines and league news.
Correspondents Bob Holtzman (Tampa Bay at New York Giants), Ed Werder (New Orleans at Carolina), Sal Paolantonio (Baltimore at Philadelphia), Josina Anderson (New York Jets at Pittsburgh) and Colleen Dominguez (Detroit at San Francisco) will report from five games. Highlights:
- RG3: Rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III had a spectacular debut, completing 19 of 26 passes for 320 yards with a passer rating of 139.9 and led the Redskins to a 40-32 victory over the New Orleans Saints. Though a rookie, RG3 has increasingly become a team leader – posting quotes in the locker room. His veteran teammates talk about the rookie and the impact his quotes have had on the team in such a short time. Greg Garber reports.
- Jaws with Flacco and Vick: In the offseason, Ron Jaworski shared separate game film review sessions with quarterbacks Joe Flacco (Ravens) and Michael Vick (Eagles). On Countdown, the former NFL quarterback and one of the best minds in the sport dissects the game film.
- Giants Finish Line: Reporter Rachel Nichols recounts how head coach Tom Coughlin’s inspirational speech and the video he shared with the New York Giants the night before Super Bowl XLVII propelled the team to its second Super Bowl victory in five years.
- Pittsburgh’s Kirby Wilson: Two days before the Steelers-Broncos 2011 playoff game, Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson’s house caught fire. Wilson suffered second- and third-degree burns. Though his road to recovery has been long and arduous, Wilson has returned to the Steelers sidelines, an inspiration to his family, team and community, reports Josina Anderson.
- Where You At?: Cris Carter and Tom Jackson identify and spotlight underperforming players in this new Sunday NFL Countdown segment.
And lastly, NFL Matchup.
NFL Matchup – Peyton Manning in “Jaws Playbook;” Matt Ryan’s No-Huddle Offense; Joe Flacco – Learning Manning’s Play Book; and More
NFL Matchup with host Sal Paolantonio and analysts Ron Jaworski and Merril Hoge will preview week two action on Sunday, Sept. 16, on ESPN at 3:30 a.m. (ESPN2 at 8:30 a.m.), taking viewers inside the film room with X’s and O’s analysis of the weekend’s key matchups. Highlights:
- Jaws Playbook – Peyton Manning: Jaworski dissects Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning’s first game back in pro football (vs. Steelers) last Sunday, after a neck injury which reportedly required four surgeries forcing the former Indianapolis Colt to sit out the season.
- Hoge Breakdown: Hoge explains how quarterback Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons will build on their dominant performance in Kansas City last Sunday by using the no-huddle offense to gain an edge at home vs. Manning and the Broncos.
- Between the Lines: In this new segment, Jaworski and Hoge combine to point out key plays in a blitz by the San Francisco 49ers Carlos Rogers that set the tempo early last Sunday in Green Bay and made quarterback Aaron Rodgers uncomfortable in the pocket.
- The Film Room: With new quarterback coach Jim Caldwell, the Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is taking a page out of Peyton Manning’s book, contends Hoge as he goes inside the film room to show how the no-huddle offense has made the Ravens signal caller more proficient.
- Beyond the Film Room: Jaworski explains how Robert Griffin III’s understanding of a coverage by the Saints defense led to an 88-yard touchdown to Pierre Garcon in the Redskins second possession of the game.
- Money Down – Mark Sanchez: After quieting his critics in week one vs. the Buffalo Bills, Hoge puts his “Money Down” on New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez and evaluates a long third down throw in the game that highlights Sanchez’s development as a quarterback.
- Factor Back: In this week’s “Factor Back” segment, Jaworski shows an uncanny toss sweep by the New England Patriots to running back Stevan Ridley.
And we’re done.