Overall, the NBC Sports Group has the second highest amount of Sports Emmy Award nominations after ESPN’s 52. Combined with NBC Sports, Golf Channel, Versus (now NBC Sports Network) and NBCSports.com, the Group has a whole slew of nominations.
Some of the more notable nominations include Studio Host (Bob Costas & Dan Patrick), Play-by-Play (Al Michaels & Mike Emrick), Game Analyst (Cris Collinsworth), Game Analyst (Mike Mayock), Sports Reporter (Michele Tafoya & Pierre McGuire), Live Sports Special (NHL Stanley Cup Final on both NBC/Versus), Live Sports Series (Sunday Night Football), Playoff Coverage (NFL Wild Card Saturday) and Weekly Studio Show (Football Night in America).
So as you can see, the Group has been nominated in several major categories. We have the NBC Sports Group press release crowing about its nominations.
Total Nominations for NBC Sports Group Up from Last Year
NBC Leads All Broadcast Networks with 23 Nominations
Sunday Night Football & Football Night in America Nominated for Outstanding Live Sports Series & Outstanding Studio Show – Weekly
NBC/VERSUS* Nominated for Outstanding Live Sports Special for 2011 Stanley Cup Final
On-Air Personalities Costas, Michaels, Emrick, Collinsworth, Mayock, Patrick, Tafoya & McGuire Nominated
Bob Costas’ Halftime Essays Nominated for Dick Schaap Writing Award
NEW YORK – March 20, 2012 – The NBC Sports Group received 33 total Sports Emmy Award nominations for 2011, the first year it produced programming as a single sports media company. The 33 nominations received by NBC Sports Group is the second-highest number of nominations for any sports media company or network. NBC led all broadcast networks with 23 nominations. The announcement was made today by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. The winners will be announced by the Academy on Monday, April 30.
Highlights of NBC Sports Group’s nominations include:
- Once again, Sunday Night Football on NBC was nominated for Outstanding Live Sports Series.
- Football Night in America was nominated for the second consecutive year for Outstanding Studio Show – Weekly.
- NBC’s NFL Wild Card Saturday received its first nomination for Outstanding Playoff Coverage.
- For the first time as a joint production team, NBC/VERSUS* was rewarded with a nomination for Outstanding Live Sports Special for the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.
- Golf Channel was nominated for Outstanding Live Event Turnaround for Inside the PGA Tour.
- The newly created show, NFL Turning Point, which debuted on VERSUS* in the fall of 2010, received the nomination for Outstanding Edited Sports Series/Anthology in its premiere season.
- NBCSports.com was again nominated for Outstanding New Approaches Sports Programming for its live stream platform, Sunday Night Football Extra.
- Along with co-writer Aaron Cohen, Bob Costas, a 22-time Emmy Award winner, who is again nominated for Outstanding Sports Personality, Studio Host, was nominated for the Dick Schaap Writing Award for his halftime essays on Sunday Night Football.
- Nominations in individual talent categories:
o Bob Costas (Studio Host)
o Al Michaels (Play-by-Play)
o Mike Emrick (Play-by-Play)
o Cris Collinsworth (Event Analyst)
o Mike Mayock (Event Analyst)
o Dan Patrick (Studio Host)
o Michele Tafoya (Reporter)
o Pierre McGuire (Reporter)
*VERSUS was rebranded NBC Sports Network on January 2, 2012.
“I am incredibly proud that the NBC Sports Group has earned an impressive 33 nominations for the work done in our first year together as a company,” said Mark Lazarus, Chairman, NBC Sports Group. “Aligning our assets to produce the highest-quality programming across our national broadcast, cable and digital platforms has clearly made a difference.”
All of the national platforms of NBC Sports Group — NBC Sports, VERSUS*, Golf Channel and NBCSports.com — received a nomination. Most notably, NBC, VERSUS* and NBCSports.com received 16 nominations related to NFL coverage, and NBC/VERSUS* received four nominations for its coverage of the NHL. Golf Channel earned two nominations and NBCSports.com was honored with one.
The complete list of NBC Sports Group nominations are as follows:
- Outstanding Live Sports Special: 2011 Stanley Cup Final (NBC/VERSUS*)
- Outstanding Live Sports Series: Sunday Night Football
- Outstanding Live Event Turnaround: 2011 Track & Field World Championships
- Outstanding Live Event Turnaround: 2011 Tour de France (VERSUS*)
- Outstanding Live Event Turnaround: The USA Pro Cycling Challenge (VERSUS*)
- Outstanding Live Event Turnaround: Inside the PGA Tour (Golf Channel)
- Outstanding Playoff Coverage: NFL Wild Card Saturday
- Outstanding Edited Sports Series/Anthology: NFL Turning Point (VERSUS*)
- Outstanding Edited Sports Series/Anthology: World of Adventure Sports
- Outstanding Studio Show – Weekly: Football Night in America
- Outstanding Short Feature: Football Night in America – “The Greatest Gift”
- Outstanding New Approaches Sports Programming: Sunday Night Football Extra (NBCSports.com)
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Studio Host: Bob Costas
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Studio Host: Dan Patrick
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Play-by-Play: Al Michaels
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Play-by-Play: Mike Emrick (NBC/VERSUS*)
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Sports Event Analyst: Cris Collinsworth
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Sports Event Analyst: Mike Mayock
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Sports Reporter: Michele Tafoya
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Sports Reporter: Pierre McGuire (NBC/VERSUS*)
- Outstanding Technical Team Remote: US Open Championship (Golf Channel/NBC)
- Outstanding Camera Work: 2011 Ford Ironman World Championship
- Dick Schaap Writing Award: NBC Sunday Night Football – Bob Costas Essays
- Dick Schaap Writing Award: The Kentucky Derby
- Outstanding Graphic Design: Sunday Night Football
- Outstanding Production Design/Art Direction: Sunday Night Football
- George Wensel Technical Achievement Award: America’s Cup Highlight Show – Live Line (VERSUS*)
- Outstanding Sports Promotional Announcement – Episodic:
- NFL Kickoff
- 2011 Stanley Cup Final – No Words
A complete list of nominees is available here.
*VERSUS was rebranded NBC Sports Network on January 2, 2012.
That’s all for this post. One more Sports Emmy-related post tonight.