As mentioned in the previous post, the defending Super Bowl Champs New York Giants will host the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday, September 5 to start the 2012 regular season. This means that Cowboys-Giants ended the 2011 regular season on NBC and Cowboys-Giants will kick off the 2012 regular season on NBC. And it marks the third straight Dallas-NYG game on the Peacock. If you remember, Sunday Night Football had both NFC East Division rivalry games in a span of one month between Weeks 14 and 17. Plus the Week 17 contest gave NBC some monster ratings.
NBC’s coverage begins at 7:30 p.m. Eastern with the pregame show co-produced with NFL Network and then the actual game as called by Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth and Michele Tafoya an hour later.
We have the NBC Sports press release for you.
SUPER BOWL CHAMPION NEW YORK GIANTS HOST DALLAS COWBOYS ON “NFL KICKOFF 2012,” WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5 AT 8:30 P.M. ET ON NBC
Rematch of 2011 Regular Season Finale that was Most-Watched Primetime Game Ever on NBC and Most-Watched on Any Network in 15 Years
Sunday Night Football is Currently Ranked as the Most-Watched and Highest-Rated Show of the 2011-2012 Primetime Television Season
NEW YORK – March 27, 2012 – The Super Bowl champion New York Giants host NFC East rival Dallas Cowboys in NFL Kickoff 2012, the opening game of the 2012 NFL season, it was announced today by the NFL. NFL Kickoff 2012 will be played on Wednesday, Sept. 5, at 8:30 p.m. ET, with coverage on NBC beginning at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Sunday Night Football with the Giants defeating the Cowboys, 31-14, to capture the NFC East title. That game averaged 27.6 million viewers, the most ever for a Sunday Night Football game (Thursday openers included), and the most-watched regular-season primetime game on any network in 15 years (Packers-Cowboys, 31.5 million, Nov. 18, 1996 on ABC).
MOST WATCHED NFL REGULAR-SEASON PRIMETIME GAMES ON NBC:
1. 27.6 million, Cowboys-Giants, 1/1/12 (2011 SNF Week 17)
2. 27.5 million, Vikings-Saints, 9/9/10 (2010 Thursday Night Opener)
3. 27.2 million, Saints-Packers, 9/8/11 (2011 Thursday Night Opener)
4. 25.8 million, Cowboys-Jets, 9/11/11 (2011 SNF Week 1)
5. 25.73 million, Eagles-Cowboys, 12/12/10 (2010 SNF Week 14)
6. 25.68 million, Vikings-Packers, 10/24/10, (Favre Return to Lambeau II)
7. 25.3 million, Cowboys-Redskins, 9/12/10 (2010 SNF: Week 1)
8. 24.8 million, Giants-Cowboys, 9/20/09 (Dallas Cowboys Stadium Debut)
9. 24.5 million, Giants-Cowboys, 12/11/11 (2011 SNF Week 14)
10. 24.2 million, Packers-Patriots, 12/19/10 (2010 SNF Week 15)
For the primetime television season (September 19-March 25), *Sunday Night Football ranks as the most-watched (persons 2+) and highest-rated show, and the No. 1 program across the key demographics of Adults 18-49, 18-34, 25-54 as well as Men 18-49, 18-34 and 25-54, based on Nielsen live + same day data. Additionally, SNF is the No. 3 show among Women 18-34 and the No. 4 show among Women 18-49.
*NOTE: The primetime television season began on Monday, Sept. 19 and does not include the first three NBC primetime games of the 2011 season (Thursday night NFL Kickoff Opener and first two SNF games).
That will do it.