Combined with NBC Sports, NBCSports.com, NBCOlympics.com and Versus, the Group can say it received 25 total nominations from the Sports Emmys. By itself, NBC Sports received 20 nominations including those for Bob Costas and Dan Patrick (Outstanding Studio Host), Al Michaels ( Outstanding Play-by-Play), Cris Collinsworth (Outstanding Game Analyst), Football Night in America (Outstanding Weekly Studio Show), Sunday Night Football (Outstanding Live Series) and the 2010 Winter Olympics (multiple nominations).
The Group also adds Versus’ nomination for the Tour de France (Outstanding Live Sports Special) along with those for NBC’s Internet nominations for the Olympics and you have 25 nominations total. Let’s take a look at what NBC is saying about the Sports Emmys.
NBC SPORTS GROUP CAPTURES 25 SPORTS EMMY AWARD NOMINATIONS
NBC Leads All Broadcast Networks with 20 Nominations
NBC Olympic Coverage Leads All Programs with 11 Nominations
Costas, Michaels, Collinsworth, Emrick & Patrick Nominated
Vancouver Winter Olympics Nominated for Outstanding Live Event Turnaround
“Sunday Night Football” Nominated for Outstanding Live Sports Series
“Football Night in America” Nominated for Outstanding Studio Show-Weekly
Ryder Cup Nominated for Outstanding Live Sports Special
Al Michaels to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award
NEW YORK – March 22, 2011 – The NBC Sports Group received 25 total Sports Emmy Award nominations, including Outstanding Live Event Turnaround for the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games; Outstanding Live Sports Series for “Sunday Night Football”; Outstanding Studio Show – Weekly for “Football Night in America”; Outstanding Live Sports Special for the Ryder Cup; and nominations in individual talent categories for Bob Costas (Studio Host), Al Michaels (Play-by-Play), Cris Collinsworth (Event Analyst), Mike Emrick (Play-by-Play) and Dan Patrick (Studio Host). The announcement was made today by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. The winners will be announced by the Academy on Monday, May 2.
NBC received 11 nominations for coverage of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, the most for any program, four for its NFL coverage, four for NBC Sports promotional campaigns and two each for NBCSports.com and NBCOlympics.com. VERSUS received one nomination for Outstanding Live Sports Special for its coverage of the Tour De France.
MICHAELS TO RECEIVE LIFETIME ACHEIVEMENT AWARD:
Legendary broadcaster Al Michaels will receive this year’s Lifetime Achievement Award. Michaels, one of television’s most respected journalists, has been the voice of NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” since its inception in 2006, and has covered more major sports events than any sportscaster, including 20 years as the play-by-play voice of “Monday Night Football.” He is the only commentator to call the Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals and host the Stanley Cup Final for network television. He has appeared on network primetime television for more hours (2,100+) than anyone in history.
Among his many accolades, Michaels has captured six Emmy Awards for Outstanding Sports Personality – Play-by-play (1986, 1989, 1995, 2000, 2007 and 2008) and has three times (1980, 1983 and 1986) received the NSSA Award from the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association; he was inducted into the NSSA Hall of Fame in 1998. Michaels was named Sportscaster of the Year in 1996 by the American Sportscasters Association, and, in 1991, the Washington Journalism Review named him Sportscaster of the Year.
“Al Michaels is the most versatile play-by-play voice in sports television history, having called Olympics, NBA Finals, the World Series, Super Bowls and, of course, the NFL’s premier weekly primetime game for the last quarter century,” said Dick Ebersol, Chairman, NBC Sports Group. “He is relentless in his preparation, is always teaching the audience, and often serves as a second analyst in the booth. It’s no miracle that the man responsible for the most iconic call in the history of sports television is being acknowledged for his lifetime achievement. Congratulations, Al.”
“This is a wonderful honor and I’m extremely grateful,” said Michaels. “I’ve had the good fortune to work with and for some of the most talented people in the history of sports television, and this honor speaks to the fact that I’ve been lucky enough to have been a part of some phenomenal teams.”
Last year, Michaels’ long-time broadcast partner and former “Sunday Night Football” analyst John Madden was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award, while Ebersol received the honor in 2009.
NBC SPORTS GROUP NOMINATIONS:
- Outstanding Live Event Turnaround: Vancouver Olympic Winter Games
- Outstanding Live Sports Series: “Sunday Night Football”
- Outstanding Live Sports Special: The Ryder Cup
- Outstanding Live Sports Special: 2010 Tour de France (VERSUS)
- Outstanding Studio Show – Weekly: “Football Night in America”
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Studio Host: Bob Costas
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Studio Host: Dan Patrick
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Play-by-Play: Al Michaels
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Play-by-Play: Mike Emrick
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Sports Event Analyst: Cris Collinsworth
- Outstanding Open/Tease: Vancouver Olympic Winter Games – Discovery
- Outstanding Graphic Design:
- “Sunday Night Football”
- Vancouver Olympic Winter Games
- Outstanding New Approaches Sports Event Coverage: Vancouver Olympic Winter Games, Beyond the Broadcast – NBCOlympics.com
- Outstanding New Approaches Sports Programming:
- Sunday Night Football Extra – NBCSports.com
- The Science of Sport – NBCSports.com
- Outstanding New Approaches Sports Programming – Short Format: Vancouver Olympic Winter Games – NBCOlympics.com
- Outstanding Technical Team Studio: Vancouver Olympic Winter Games
- Outstanding Camera Work: Vancouver Olympic Winter Games, Discovery
- Dick Schaap Writing Award: Vancouver Olympic Winter Games, Discovery
- Outstanding Post Produced Audio/Sound: Vancouver Olympic Winter Games, Remember the Titans
- Outstanding Sports Promotional Announcement – Institutional:
- NBC Sports Championship Season
- NHL Winter Classic – Classic Rivalry/Classic Spectacle
- Vancouver Olympic Winter Games – One Day/Dream it, Win it/One Dream
- Outstanding Sports Promotional Announcement – Episodic: Vancouver Olympic Winter Games – One Day/Olympic Showdown/Dancing Stars
And we’ll be back with more network press releases regarding the Sports Emmy Award nominations.