This just in from Fox Sports, the late NFL Sunday afternoon window which featured the Philadelphia Eagles-Chicago Bears game to most of the country became the highest rated NFL broadcast of the season, outrating NBC’s season opener between Minnesota and New Orleans which received a 17.7.
Of course, Fox calls the 4:15 p.m. ET timeslot “America’s Game of the Week” which is what NBC uses to describe Sunday Night Football. Funny how both are laying claim to the title. In any event, we have the press release from Fox Sports.
EAGLES/BEARS SHOWDOWN DELIVERS FOX HIGHEST-RATED NFL GAME OF THE SEASONAmerica’s Game of the Week Posts a Tremendous 18.0/32 Overnight RatingSaints/Cowboys Thanksgiving Clash Combines to Score the Most-Watched Thanksgiving Weekend in the History of the NFL ON FOXAMERICA’S GAME OF THE WEEK, anchored by the highly-anticipated Bears/Eagles contest in Chicago, propelled Sunday’s NFL on FOX Week 12 national game (11/28) to a tremendous 18.0/32 metered market rating/share according to figures released by Nielsen Media Research today.NFL ON FOX WEEK 12 HIGHLIGHTS:
- The 18.0/32 posted for AMERICA’S GAME OF THE WEEK is the highest-rated NFL game of this season on any network, surpassing the 17.7/28 NBC posted for the Vikings/Saints season opener in September.
- In the early window, FOX posted an impressive 12.3/24 for its regional game coverage, scoring the top rating for a regional game this season on either FOX or CBS.
- The NFL ON FOX notched an amazing 15.2/28 average for Sunday’s doubleheader action, the network’s best NFL doubleheader in 14 years, dating back to Week 13 of the 1996 season (17.9/35).
- Thursday’s Thanksgiving Day NFL action on FOX between the Saints and Cowboys delivered a 14.7/36, the network’s best Thanksgiving Day overnight in 12 years. Thursday’s metered market rating is up +21% over FOX’s game last year (Green Bay/Detroit 12.1/29) and up +17% over last year’s Cowboys game on CBS (12.6/29, Oakland/Dallas).
- FOX’s three NFL windows this weekend totaled a remarkable 45.0 rating points in the metered markets, making this the most-watched Thanksgiving weekend in the history of the NFL ON FOX.
More coming up later.