When ESPN through its parent Disney forged a long-term agreement with Time Warner Cable, it developed two new channels, Goal Line and Buzzer Beater with the idea of expanding it to other services. That time has come as both channels plus ESPN 3D come to Verzion Fios customers as part of a new long term extension that keeps the Disney and ESPN family of networks on the service for the foreseeable future.
In addition, Fios subscribers will be able to see the ESPN family of networks on tablets through Verizon Fios apps.
We have the announcement.
Verizon and the Disney and ESPN Media Networks Group Extend Agreement, Add New Video and Digital Services for FiOS TV SubscribersFiOS TV to Add ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN 3D, Disney Junior and Authenticated Services for ESPN Linear NetworksVerizon Wireless V CAST Video to Add Disney XD Mobile and ABC Family Mobile
BRISTOL, CONN. and NEW YORK — Verizon and the Disney and ESPN Media Networks Group (DEMN) today entered into a long-term, wide-ranging agreement that will continue to provide Verizon customers with the Disney and ESPN services they already receive, as well as future access to new services, including ESPN Goal Line, ESPN 3D, Disney Junior, mobile programming and live online streaming of several ESPN networks.“We’re very excited to begin offering our FiOS subscribers this new variety of ESPN and Disney programming,” said Terry Denson, Verizon vice president for content strategy and acquisition. “We continue to meet the goal of providing our customers with the newest programming available on every platform, whether it’s on the TV screen, online or on mobile devices.”Added David Preschlack, executive vice president, affiliate sales and marketing, DEMN, “This new agreement represents the ever-evolving landscape of the media industry. Gone are the days of linear channel distribution only – we are tasked with helping our affiliates grow their businesses on multiple platforms, and this deal reflects that. With new broadband and on-demand services, Verizon FiOS TV subscribers will have better access than ever to our vast array of content.”The new services included in the agreement are:
- ESPN Goal Line, a super-highlight channel available to FiOS TV customers as of October 9. ESPN Goal Line takes fans around to some of the best matchups during the NCAA football season. The network includes live look-ins of game action, focusing on scoring drives and up-to-the minute commentary from analysts and experts. Goal Line, available at no additional cost for customers who subscribe to FiOS TV’s Extreme HD or Ultimate HD package, airs on Saturdays in HD on FiOS TV Channel 571 from noon until games are complete, around 11:30 p.m. ET. A similar service, called ESPN Buzzer Beater, will be available for the college basketball season. Goal Line will be available in all FiOS TV markets except for the Washington, D.C., metro area and Harrisburg, Pa., due to local affiliate exclusivity agreements.
- ESPN 3D, scheduled to launch for Verizon FiOS TV subscribers in 2011.
- New authenticated services, which will give Verizon’s FiOS TV customers the opportunity to watch ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN Goal Line and ESPN Buzzer Beater live online on their PC or on Internet devices like tablets. FiOS TV customers will be able to access the programming via ESPN’s websites as well as the FiOS TV Online website in the coming months.
- Disney Junior, the recently announced, 24-hour basic channel for preschool-age children, parents and caregivers. The new channel, available to Verizon FiOS TV customers upon its debut in 2012, will feature animated and live action programming that blends Disney’s unparalleled storytelling and beloved characters with learning, including early math, language skills, healthy eating, and lifestyles and social skills.
- Signature programming from Disney XD and ABC Family is expected to be available on Verizon Wireless’ V CAST Video later this year.The new ESPN and Disney programming will join FiOS TV’s broad collection of programming, with more than 520 all-digital channels including up to 140 HD channels and 18,000 monthly video-on-demand titles. FiOS also provides next-generation interactive services including an advanced interactive media guide; social networking, news and entertainment widgets; remote DVR management via broadband or cell phone; and more.
More coming up.